Sunday, August 19, 2012

Let's Try Some Cooking

Mexican food has a special place in my heart. Love it. I especially love Chuy's fried shrimp tacos. I mean you can't go wrong combining these two- seafood and Mexican food. So I decided to be adventurous and try making my own shrimp tacos, a somewhat healthier version. I was pleasantly surprised with myself!

First I made some fresh corn salsa to add some extra zing to the taco! Super easy and delicious. 
Ingredients:
A few ears of fresh corn
red onion
jalapenos 
lime
* Boil the corn for about 10 minutes. Then place the corn in a bowl of ice cold water to stop the cooking process. Dice half of the red onion, grad a handful of jalapenos and chop them into small pieces. Mix together the corn, jalapenos, and red onion into a bowl. Finally, squeeze half of the lime to add the extra zing that will pull the salsa together. Put the mixture into the fridge to get cool! 

* Quick tip: When you are cutting the kernel off the ear of ear put a smaller bowl upside down inside another bowl. Place the corn on top of the smaller bowl and when you are cutting down all the corn will fall into the big bowl and not spill all over the place. This makes it so much easier to transport your corn and not make a mess.

Now onto the tacos:
*Marinate the shrimp in whatever seasonings you like. I picked a southern seafood blend (Paul Prudommes).
*Use a hot skillet with a little bit of oil to cook the shrimp. They do not take very long to cook. Just make sure they are all pink and no grey coloring left.

Time to make your own taco!
*I like the heat up my tortilla. Add a little refried beans, place the hot shrimp, add a touch of cheese. Finally I top it with the cold corn salsa. The salsa adds a great contrast in texture and temperature. 
*You can always add anything else you like- maybe some lettuce, tomatoes, more jalapenos for the spice lovers.. whatever makes your mouth water.
* Don't forget to pair with a margarita for all your hard work :)

xoxo, Carol!

Also, I would love for you to stop by my Chloe and Isabel boutique and participate in the Fundraiser for the Veritas College Prep Charter School in Memphis.

Lots of exciting things happening this week. Stayed tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment